Friday, July 30, 2010

Listen to Understand

Suzann Goldstein’s brief essay on listening well struck a chord with me, since it is a key skill which can take interpersonal relationships to a much higher level. It’s definitely a practice that I could improve upon by personally honing it to a sharper edge.

In asking the following question, “What have I learned (about listening)?” Goldstein summarizes her view:

I have learned to wait until I grasp the content of the speaker’s message before responding. I have learned not to be a lazy listener but, instead, to be attentive.”

I have learned once more, to be mindful of the speaker’s nonverbal gestures and to nod my head or smile or gesture in return; it is another way to listen.”

This advice sounds so simple that it is far too easy to gloss over and to lose the essential message that it contains. Yet, no professional whose occupation is associated with interpersonal relationships could have stated it more clearly or succinctly.

Suzann Goldstein’s full essay contains a personal account which is well worth your time to read completely. It appeared in its entirely on July 20, 2010 in the Community Life section (page B3) of the print edition of the Courier News.

No comments: