Saturday, July 3, 2010

Bridgewater Beauties

When she came to pay a visit yesterday, she must have liked the sweet nectar of the Buddleia plants, because she came back today with three of her friends. I had been out watering the planting beds, when I noticed all four butterflies settling down on one of the Buddleias in the yard.

If you want to freeze a butterfly in a picture, you have to be patient yet have to move quickly, because it won’t stay in one place very long. However, if there are enough plants to attract them in your flower beds, butterflies will tend to flutter from bush to bush, remaining in the same area long enough for you to create a satisfactory number of photos.

I was able to freeze-frame the first butterfly alone (see photo), and to also capture the other three lined up on another Buddleia (see second photo). It was a stroke of luck to find so many at one time concentrated within shooting distance.

Later on, after I had finished my work and was away from the yard, Priscille told me that she spotted another newcomer, a largely black one. I’ll be on the lookout for this newbie, and if I’m lucky, record her image as well.

Hopefully, dear readers you are all enjoying a sane, healthy, and joyous 4th of July weekend. We live in a great country, don’t you think, despite all of the self-deprecating negativity about the USA that infects too many: Don’t buy any of it, even if it emanates from Washington.

Photo:  by Dick Bergeron, July 3, 2010

No comments: