Sunday, August 28, 2011

Goodnight Irene!


A setting sun glows through a tree stand in Bridgewater, Sunday evening.
I’m taking the liberty to selectively quote a few lyrics from a great oldies song dedicated to a lady of the same name.  

However, the Irene who just passed us by in New Jersey had far worse habits:  She not only caused a sleepless night for millions of us, but she became the source of great mischief and grief with her wanton shenanigans and destructive habits during her relatively brief stopover.

“Irene goodnight, Irene goodnight
Goodnight Irene, goodnight Irene
I'll see you in my dreams

I wished to God I'd never seen your face
I's sorry you ever was born

You cause me to weep, you cause me to mourn
You cause me to leave my home

Irene goodnight, Irene goodnight
Goodnight Irene, goodnight Irene
I'll see you in my dreams”

Probably like many of you in The Garden State, Irene kept me up past midnight with her “ramblin'” and her “stayin' out late at night.” 


Strong westerly gusts chased away Irene's stormy cloud cover.
Thank goodness, though, it’s finally over with.  At least the havoc accompanying Irene in the form of powerful winds and rain which caused so much personal and property damage is now behind us, even though the cost of the cleanup and the emotional damage that it wreaked on people is yet to  be dealt with.

Monday morning will be the beginning of getting back to normal, but only the start.  The flooding isn’t over, and the final tally of the cost of repairs and reconstruction will most likely be in the billions, and it will probably be days before the public transportation infrastructure is back to normal.

Nonetheless, it could have been far worse – we may have dodged the bullet of a Category 3 Hurricane.  

Thanks for reading.  Maybe some of your prayers kept the worst from happening – who’s to prove otherwise?

Sleep well tonight.  

(Click on any image for an enhanced view.)

No comments: