Saturday, August 27, 2011

Leadership in Action


Christie is a take-charge guy – a man of action.  He hasn’t been everyone’s hero since his election, but there is no denying his ability to act decisively.  Viewing his press briefing on TV this afternoon, I was amazed by the manner in which he spoke effectively for an extended period of time without notes or prepared text. 

Governor Christie's Saturday briefing.  (TV Screenshot/Dick Bergeron)
Just as impressive was his total recall of events; the people he spoke to; the places he visited; his non-partisan treatment of this emergency; and his total commitment to storm preparations.

Christie and his staff are communicating with all agencies and people who are tasked with roles in this crisis.  He has given credit to elected officials from both parties and has made it clear that politics has absolutely no role in this emergency. 

Even if some of you, dear readers, may not be particularly fond of some of the unpopular legislation which he has shepherded through the New Jersey Senate and Assembly, it’s hard not to admire the manner in which he is working to help The Garden State weather Irene, our decidedly unwelcome guest.

When I was recently vacationing in New Hampshire with family, I found out quite serendipitously how this man has made his mark well outside of New Jersey:   As I was walking back up the sidewalk of a mountainous hill overlooking the village of Meredith, NH after shooting photos in the neighborhood, I came across a local resident who accosted me, wanting to know what I was doing.

 I think that he was concerned about photos and tax assessments.  After I told him who I am, where I live, and that I was just out shooting pictures of the village, his first comment was to throw me a compliment about Chris Christie.  No unfavorable Jersey jokes from this guy!  Nothing but respect.

Next, it would be my sister-in-law who lives in the south of New Hampshire who, without any prompting on my part, would let me know how much she liked Christie’s early, no-beating-around-the-bush advice to the residents of Cape May about evacuating ahead of the storm.

Our governor has earned himself an out-of-state reputation simply by doing what he thinks is best for New Jersey – not by governing with an eye to some other out-of-state prize.

How refreshing!  Like this guy or not, you get what you see; and, what you see isn’t all that bad.

Thanks for reading.  Hope and pray that Irene’s blows are not too devastating.  Pris and I have done everything that we can to get ready, including getting our butts back to New Jersey to clear the yard and to secure the house. The rest is in the Lord’s hands.

Thanks, Dot and Tom, for your hospitality on our way back home.

No comments: