Monday, December 3, 2007

For All You Bridgewater Technophobes

As I was rummaging about in the basement, helping to bring up the Christmas tree and Christmas ornaments, my mind wandered to that one item that I’ve been looking for down there for years and which I just can’t seem to find – too much accumulation that needs to be cleaned out: We’re working on that.

I thought I’d turn my quest for the misplaced item into a quiz for you folks who are technology aficionados. This is no recent thing, though, so it will test your skills. If you are a baby-boomer, no fair using search engines! If you are a GenXer, I’ll forgive you if you use Google or the others.

1. OK, here it is: Which company invented, manufactured and sold the first four-function pocket calculator? Hint: The calculator used eight red LED lights for its display, and the firm was located in Acton, Massachusetts.

2. Next question: Which company developed and manufactured an extremely popular financial calculator in 1981, which is still widely in use today? It’s a small handheld unit that I used myself at Digital Equipment Corporation and at other companies in my career.

More hints: The first company lasted only a few years. The second one is still in business.

Note: Answers forthcoming with the next blog.

2 comments:

Stable said...

The second company is HP

Dick Bergeron said...

You hit it right on the nose, Stable. Congratulations!