Sunday, May 13, 2007

People Who Cross your Path

Have you ever thought of the people that you come across in your life who have had such an impact upon it for the good? It has struck me that many of the professional people that I have come in contact with and who have helped me enormously since moving to Bridgewater are Jewish. There has been no pattern to this, and none of it has occurred specifically because of their heritage, but because they are skilled.

The ophthalmologist who fixed the detached retina in my left eye many years ago is Jewish; so is the surgeon who, about five months ago, repaired my hernia; as is the orthopedist who repaired my right shoulder so that I can resume swimming. And, there are others.

I wonder: How would it have been if the Nazis had totally succeeded in wiping out Judaism? What I do know is this: The contribution to humanity by this statistically small, worldwide remnant is completely disproportionate to its numbers. And that, to this first generation American of French-Canadian descent, is quite extraordinary.

p.s. Happy Mother's Day to all you good Moms out there!

1 comment:

Sarah B said...

What a beautiful tribute!! And I know what you mean about special people, friends, coming into my life... I am very, very grateful for the ones who crossed mine.