Sunday, July 17, 2011

Summer Visitors Finally Return

Nature’s visitors to my garden work just as hard to benefit from its presence as I do to maintain it.

I derive a lot of pleasure in anticipating the wide variety of winged creatures that feed among the butterfly bushes, the Russian sage, and the flowering spirea which are spread out among some of the other deer-resistant plantings – resistant, that is, at least up to this point!

 Most of my flying friends are very quick as they wander among the blooms collecting nectar.  It takes patience, timing, and luck to get a decent shot of these little insects as they flit unpredictably from flower to flower.

Until today, I hadn’t seen any real presence of this year’s visitation of butterflies.  But around mid-afternoon when I walked down to the garden to check it out, there they were – two of them, a large one and a small one.

The one shown in this post is the smaller of the two.  The other had lost a small part of its left wing, but seemed to be managing fine.  I hope that they continue to have a good summer in Bridgewater.

Thanks for reading, and I hope that all y’all – as several of my relatives from Dallas might say – have a good summer also.

(Click on image for an enhanced view.)

No comments: