Thursday, June 19, 2008

Coming Through

In my blog of Tuesday, June 17th, I mentioned that I had to turn back from attending a public presentation, because of wind-driven storm damage to the windshield of my car early Monday evening.

It’s good to know that some businesses keep their commitments. My insurance company is State Farm – has been for many years. Luckily, I’ve not had any major claims to present and, with all of the competitive insurance ads, I sometimes wonder if I could not get a better price deal. Maybe I could.

But it was gratifying to know that, from the time I made my after-hours call to this insurance company on Monday night, it took only one phone call to get through to the right series of persons, and to set up an appointment at my home to have the windshield replaced.

During my call I informed the call taker that I needed to have my car back in operation by Friday. She set me up with a service coordinator who, in turn, connected me with a representative of Safelite Auto Glass. That person set me up for a service call for today (Thursday), between 12:00 pm and 5:00 pm. I was asked to verify the status of the job around 12 noon, Thursday. Today, I did and, wouldn’t you know, the service technician was already on his way to my home when I called to check, just before noon.

Dealing with people and companies who have set up competent business processes to deliver an on-time customer solution with no hassle is a great relief. The opposite, as many people have found out, is a nightmare.

I don’t know how matters would have turned out, if I had been involved in a more disastrous insurance situation but, to borrow from one of my Mom’s many aphorisms, “Always give credit where credit is due.”

I miss you, Mom & Dad. Stay well all of you out there, and thanks for checking in.

No comments: