Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Bedding for a Bear?

Today’s Bridgewater Patch reported several bear sightings in Bridgewater.  One was during daylight hours on Mountain Top Road – looked like a big bruiser in the Patch photo provided by a resident.  Another sighting was reported around Steele Gap Road, while a third – the one that really interests me – was the one near Blossom Drive.

Notice the large depression in the middle of this
mulch pile.  It was a well-rounded mound when it
came out of the dump cart.  A deer, or a bear?
(Bergeron Image.)
That last site is within walking distance from our home.  Could that same bear have slept on a fresh mulch pile under our bedroom window?  I mention it for this reason: 

About 10 days or so ago, I had mulch deposited in a mound at the base of a pine tree in the back yard.  I planned to use it later for a new Japanese maple that I had planted to replace Hurricane Sandy Storm damage.

Several days later, I noticed that this mound of mulch had a big depression in it (check the attached photo).  It must have been a deer camping out temporarily near the house.  Fresh mulch piles give out a lot of comforting heat for animals.

In the back of my head, I thought, “Gee, maybe it was a bear.”  But I quickly dismissed that thought.  There are not many bears around these parts, right?”  Well, not so fast.
I recently disposed of that first mulch pile, placing it under the new tree and spreading out the remainder under the pine tree.  But I needed more to finish the job.  So, I asked for another mound of mulch.  Same load size, same mound shape, same place, until I could get around to using it.

Wouldn’t you know?  Two days later, I discovered that the same type of depression appeared again on the second mulch pile.  Must be another deer.  But hold on.  That first comment in the Patch story read “Blossom Drive.”  Too close for comfort. 
Perhaps it’s a deer.  Maybe not. 

Tonight, there are two mulch piles.  The first one is near that pine tree and another fresh new one as of today, invitingly rests alongside a second Japanese maple that I just finished planting this afternoon.  Ugh!  Digging a hole on the shoulder of the Watchung Range is not easy!  I plan to spread all that mulch tomorrow.

Check out that photo again.  It was taken from my basement window and was in the shape of a perfect mound, before one of nature’s beasts decided to sleep in it.  Deer?  Or Bear?
p.s. Did I mention that when I checked the depression on the mulch pile near the pine tree before sundown today, that I discovered evenly spaced holes?  A sign of bear claws?

(Click on the image for an enhanced view.)

No comments: