Monday, February 25, 2008

A Look at “Having Arrived”

If you want a snapshot of how celebrities see life in contrasting ways, just check out yesterday’s edition of PARADE magazine. Under the section entitled, What I did with My First Million, TV’s Judge Judy speaks about her rise from a low-paid job to her current success, as she describes her ability to buy expensive shoes, “There were those lousy discounted shoes in navy and brown, plus black ones I craved at full price. I bought the black ones. I paid full price. I knew then that I’d arrived.”

Speaking in a similar mode, Matt Lauer, co-host of the Today Show, comments about his early career insecurity and his subsequent purchase of a property in the Hamptons upon which he eventually built a home. He volunteered that, “Even now I can hardly come to grips with the fact that maybe I’m finally permanently all right.”

Interesting, isn’t it, how so many celebrities seem to define their success with statements that get right down to cash and big houses? We know something about that in Bridgewater, an affluent community where some define success in similar terms. There are, of course, alternate views.

In the same issue of PARADE, under ParadePICKS®, singer-celebrity, 88-year old Pete Seeger was asked how he felt about the future. He responded optimistically that, “My country has done wonderful things that nobody believed we would do: civil rights, women’s rights, freedom of speech. The nonviolent revolution will come next.”

When asked about his finest achievement, he volunteered, “I was able to exploit a great American tradition – that you may speak your mind. The establishment never moves unless they are pushed by the people.”

Isn’t it remarkable that some will underline success in economic terms only, while others expand the definition to include our national achievements and one’s ability to personally impact government?


Note: For the full text of these and other comments, see the February 24, 2008, edition of PARADE magazine at http://www.parade.com/articles/editions/2008/edition_02-24-2008/My_First_Million and at http://www.parade.com/parade-picks/2008/paradePick/item/music/pete-seeger-american-masters-pete-seeger-the-power-of-song.html

2 comments:

Hughes ap Williams said...

To be fair, the persons interviewed for the first story were apparently asked about their success in the context of money while the second article referred to achievements.

If we had asked both sets of people both questions, I would like to think they are mature enough to define life achievements and monetary success differently.

Dick Bergeron said...

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. They raise a valid point of view.

The bike-riding Malcolm S. Forbes, once said about money, "I recommend it to everyone." I have no dispute with that.

Only wish that I were in his league!