Saturday, October 4, 2008

Bridgewater Road Gets Fixed

There’s been so much bad news pouring into our Township via Washington, D.C. in the last thirty days, that it is a refreshing relief to see evidence of something being done right at the local level in Bridgewater.

Anyone who has used Hunter Road which runs in a north/south pattern across the Second Watchung Mountain ridge knows how badly deteriorated the road surface had become. Every time that I have used this shortcut which crosses over I-78, I’ve always found myself impossibly trying to dodge patched potholes over patched potholes which covered the width of this short Bridgewater stretch of narrow roadway, as it wound its way north into the next township.

At one point, I just gave up and slowly hugged the right side of this tightly serpentine country road, away from oncoming vehicles. At commuter time, it was a serious hazard.

Somebody done good, though! For several days recently, Hunter road was closed to traffic as road crews worked diligently to resurface the entire Bridgewater section. I was on it again the day after it was reopened to traffic. Beautiful! It’s now as smooth as a baby’s bum.

I’m not sure who did the work, but I think it’s the crews of Bridgewater’s Public Works Department, or of their hired contractor. Either way, thanks. It’s a not so small blessing to see money being put to work the right way.

Note: For an compelling description of the volcanic origin of the Watchung ridges, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchung_Mountains

No comments: