Friday, August 10, 2007

Atop Mount Major

In New Hampshire, at the southern end of Alton Bay on Lake Winnipesaukee, rises Mount Major, one of a string of low-lying mountains which encircle this glacial lake studded with over 270 islands, small and large, some inhabited, some not. This irregularly shaped lake, with all its crannies, coves and bays covers 72 square miles of water.

Nearby and to the north, is Squam Lake, site of the filming of On Golden Pond. It is one of the myriad bodies of inland water which, in total, comprise the Lakes Region of north-central New Hampshire, a popular vacation spot which lies about 100 miles north of Boston, and an hour or so south of the White Mountains National Forest.

As a young man, while vacationing here years ago, I had climbed 1,786 foot Mt. Major. Yesterday was a perfect day to repeat that ascent -- temperature in the low 70’s, dry and sunny. All five of us started out on this mini-adventure -- my daughter, son-in-law and the their two boys. My wife thought the better of it and decided to do some local craft shopping. I, myself, wondered how I would fare on this second attempt many years later.

It’s 1.7 miles of trail to the top, beginning under a heavily tree-canopied, level path of smooth hard earth which quickly changes into a gravelly texture, graduating into a steep, rock-bound serpentine way which -- my cardio-vascular system reminded me -- was testing my age and ability to complete.

The final test began with about one-third left to go to the peak. At this level, it’s almost straight up on ragged granitic rock face where the angle varies from about 30° to over 45° in places. Very easy to get hurt, if you’re not careful. A good trekking stick, a little luck, and lots of caution also help.

At the summit, the geology flattens out, and we climbers enjoyed unobstructed views for miles in all directions, with the most satisfying panorama covering an arc from northwest to south, where the sky, distant mountains, lake and islands spread themselves out before us in hues of green and blue for our visual pleasure and reflection.

It’s a humbling moment, showing just where we really stand in the scheme of things.


NOTE: I am vacationing with my family, returning to New Jersey sometime during the week of August 20th . I may post occasionally while away.

No comments: