Thursday, July 10, 2008

It’s Wild Raspberry Season in Bridgewater

Early this evening after completing my gardening chores, I checked the wild raspberry patch in the back yard and discovered it was begging to be picked. My wife came out and collected a batch while I completed my work. A few minutes later I pitched in to help. Between the two of us, our first pick of the year yielded a full stainless steel bowl – I’d estimate at least three dry pints of some of the best, natural, organic berries around.

As I was moving in and about that thorny berry patch, I found myself slowing down and enjoying the work. It was then that I realized: You can’t get stressed out doing this – it’s one of those pleasant pastimes with Mother Nature where you just relax and benefit from the work that she’s already done for you.

It also reminds me of the seasons, and of how there are just so many of them for any one of us, regardless of status or income – kind of God’s own way of leveling the playing field, something which so many of us fret about and which the guy upstairs has already taken care of in his own way.

No comments: