Sunday, May 18, 2008

Scarlett Doyle, Author & Bridgewater Town Planner

Saturday afternoon, after a luncheon with friends, I stopped by my home, reached for my reliable Kodak digital camera, and pointed the Taurus to Barnes & Noble in the shopping center near the Somerville Circle in Bridgewater.

After reading Michael Deak’s news article about budding author and Readington resident, Scarlett Doyle, I wanted to be at her book signing to hear what she had to say, and to purchase a personally autographed copy of her first book, “There’s No Such Thing as Closure.” It looks like it could be a good summer read – hey, why not take a chance on it?

When I arrived, there was a surprising turnout for the middle of a sunny, spring Saturday afternoon. Doyle was reading from her new creation. I found her delivery to be very good. She won’t put you to sleep with droning. Her reading voice is steady, inviting and soft – pleasant to hear. Since I arrived late, I only grasped a few moments of it, but first impressions are often reliable. As a bonus, the author was handing out her own personally made, artful bookmarks, and had light refreshments ready for her audience.

Doyle has worked through an interesting career as a mother and a professional. She provides municipal planning for five communities and does all of her writing work in the evenings.

Note: If you’d like to read more, refer to Michael Deak’s news report of May 15, at http://www.mycentraljersey.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080515/NEWS/80515006/1012/NEWS0201

No comments: