Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Too Cold for Comfort

Our back yard planters disguised as wintry, vanilla topped cupcakes.
  
Just as I was about to set foot outside this evening to attend a meeting in Martinsville, I took one look at the temperature and thought the better of it.  The reading:  3.6 degrees Fahrenheit and falling.  Tomorrow, think I’ll listen to the tape of that meeting instead.

My prospective father-in-law once described the conditions under which I showed up at his home in the darkness of a New England blizzard.  I had trudged through the snow and wind, following one of the deep ruts of a car that had dared to challenge that storm.

When I arrived, thoroughly covered in snow, I knocked at the back door, sheltered under the roof of a small porch.

When “Legs,” (as his guy friends and bowling team knew him back then) opened the door, he took one look at me in astonishment and exclaimed, “It’s not fit for man or beast out there.”
 
Well, you see, I was courting his daughter in those days, so my journey out into the storm was quite purposeful.     That young woman has since faithfully shared my life for decades
 
Consequently, it would be safe to assume that for a young man such as I to have ventured out into the fury of nature can sometimes produce significant rewards.

But I’m still not going out to that meeting tonight.

No comments: