Friday, September 12, 2008

Is This Price Gouging?

On my way back from a few errands in Somerset County, I wanted to fill the half-empty gas tank of my car. Pointing it west on Route 22, I decided to stop at an independent Liberty gas station where, yesterday, September 11, my wife gassed up her auto at $3.39 per gallon, regular.

On the way there, I saw two Exxon stations which service both directions of Route 22, near ShopRite. They posted prices of $3.45. The next gas station going west, Valero, posted $3.59. Just past that, on the eastbound side, Gulf also showed $3.59.

As I approached the Liberty gas station, the posted price for regular had gone up .30¢ overnight to $3.69! I drove past it, turned back east on Route 22, and stopped at the Exxon across from ShopRite, filling up for $3.45. Waiting at the pump, I was in disbelief at the price back at Liberty. I must have misread the big sign on the highway. How could it have gone up .30¢ in 24 hours?

My tank full, I needed to satisfy myself that I had this right. Pulling away from Exxon, I negotiated the first jughandle, reversing direction back west on Route 22. Slowing down slightly as I passed the Liberty gas station, the big sign read $3.69, regular. I wasn’t dreaming!

I hope that Somerset County officials check this out: because, although there may be a sound economic reason for this, it smells like a skunk.

(Note: The word Friday afternoon is that stations ordering gas now may have to pay as much as .50¢ per gallon above the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange) price, due to Hurricane Ike. Still, are some stations out there with gas in their storage tanks purchased at lower prices taking advantage of the hurricane to jack up prices?)

No comments: