Thursday, April 3, 2008

Too Old to Serve?

Robert Andrews, Congressman from New Jersey, has announced that he will be running in the Democratic primary against incumbent Senator, Frank Lautenberg. So far, so good. Anyone has the right to challenge Lautenberg for the Senate seat.

But what, exactly, does Andrews bring to the table, and just what is his beef with Lautenberg? Well, it seems that the Senator, at 84, is too old. As reported in the Star-Ledger, Newark power broker Steve Adubato declared, “I can’t support him because of his age.” Andrews claimed that, “The people of the state want a choice and they want a change.”

I agree that if a person is in deteriorating health – at any age – that condition could, of and by itself, affect the quality of her/his ability to represent us in Washington. But look all around us here in New Jersey. Have you noticed that Trenton, and even some of our county and local offices are saturated with young bucks below the age of 60? And what else have you observed? Are we better off simply because of their youth? Or is the state drowning in a pit of serial bad management, fiscal irresponsibility and over-taxation?

At least Frank Lautenberg seems to have passed the integrity test. There have been no reports of scandal on his watch, and we are not reading that he has been romping around Washington, D.C., chasing any person who looks great in a skirt and a tight blouse. Think about it for goodness sake! The man is clean. He is impeccable. He has character. He has wisdom. He has governmental and business experience.

I don’t think that he should be knocked off his seat just because he is 84. What is fair for Lautenberg and to the rest of us is for him to make a full disclosure of his physical condition, so that voters can make a reasonably informed judgment about whether his health, not his age, will get in the way of his representing New Jersey in the U.S. Senate.

Note: For the full text of the article referred to, see http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-13/120720091911340.xml&coll=1

1 comment:

Brom said...

Thank you. A number of years ago I started with serious eye trouble. My doctor and I explored the idea of Lyme Disease causing it. I got no where toward an answer. I was referred to Senator Lautenberg. I called the number he gave me. It was the CDC in Atlanta. We talked for about an hour and he was very interested in the question. So much so he transferred me on a tie line to Colorado CDC. A doctor told me I had been talking to the Chief of the CDC. Getting a true answer was difficult since Muhlenberg Hospital had discarded tissue without analyzing it. With the Senator's maturity, knowledge and referrals It was agreed that Lyme Disease could cause Acute Angle Closure Glaucoma. I look at a doctor for his training and expert knowledge. However, I do consider his referrals. I found Senator Lautenberg's referral first class. Though a professional I have few if any strings, just questions.
I happen to think the Government is run by the Business Round table and the US Chamber of Commerce. Unlike the young bucks the Senator can say no.
I like your blogs.