Friday, September 24, 2010

A Cooling-Off is in Order

Imputing racism to the Borough of Raritan by means of write-ups in the local press based on the actions of a few people and of several individual comments is an unfair claim.

I’m not going to discuss the details of this issue, because I think that a point-by-point response to what I have read would be to inflame matters even more. But I will say this: The timing is inappropriate, coming mere days before this weekend’s commemorative festivities honoring the World War II service of Raritan’s own Marine hero, John Basilone.

I believe that local media writers and author(s) of letter(s)-to-the-editor who were critical of the reaction that resulted from the sale of the property of the Third Reform Church in Raritan are sincere.

Nonetheless, I don’t like the imputation of the word “racism” to the Borough of Raritan, because it is one of the most incendiary words in the English language and should be used with caution.

My own view is simple and clear: There is enough circumstantial evidence in this matter to call to account all of the participants in the sale of that property. So let’s all take a deep breath and stand down on this issue.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder once said that we are “essentially a nation of cowards,” because we either won’t or don’t know how to have a discussion on race.

Tell me: Just how is one supposed to engage in a civil dialogue if he or she is branded a racist or coward before a serious discussion even begins?

No comments: